Search This Blog

Friday, July 16, 2010

FOODIE FRIDAYS: Hot Rods and Duck Confit


During the Summer hot rods and woodies invade Encinitas every 3rd Thursday.  There's surf music playing, tons of cool classic cars, and when you're done there's plenty of great places to eat.  Sounds better than staying home and watching Wheel of Fortune, doesn't it?  Time to hit up Third Corner, a wine bar/retail wines store/bistro restaurant.

When I go out I like to get stuff that I can't do better at home.  Duck confit is one of them.  Man oh man, the crispy duck skin, the tender succulent meat, the so-hot-I-burned-the-top-of-my-mouth beans with sausage, the only thing that made this not as good as Paris was the lack of frites on the side.  Wait, what are you going to order?  Yes, yes, good choice!

My wonderful wife ordered the mussels and frites, another Paris memory and done up great at Third Corner.  May I please have a fry?  Oh wow, nice and crispy, I would come here just for the fries.  I love fries, in case you didn't catch that.

Both entrees were fantastic and fairly priced - around $16 for each one.  Plus you can check out the wine store and for $5 they open any bottle for you.  A bottle of La Crema Chardonnay is $17.50, plus $5 for corkage, making it way cheaper than getting wine by the glass.  What does The Brigantine charge for a tiny glass of La Crema?  $9?  Get real!


After dinner there's nothing better than a walk on the beach, and that's just what we did.


NEXT UP:  SUNNY SUNDAYS, PICS FROM AROUND SAN DIEGO

No comments: